Re: New Version Notification for draft-mcmanus-httpbis-h2-websockets-02.txt

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 6:14 PM, Takeshi Yoshino <tyoshino@google.com>
wrote:

> "due to its multiplexing nature" in the introduction section looks
> redundant.

thanks!

> Given that we drop the Sec-WebSocket-Key/Sec-WebSocket-Accept header
> considering that SETTINGS+:protocol is sufficient to ensure everyone on the
> path understands WebSockets (tunneling), I suggest that we also drop the
> client-server frame masking while also allowing masking as optional for LBs
> that don't want to parse/rebuild frames but forward everything after
> upgrading.

I don't think we can go there for a couple of reasons

 a] that kind of change to the guts of 6455 is not in scope for httpbis -
to do this work here we need to limit ourselves to how http/2 initiates
websockets

 b] part of the threat model for the masking is an otherwise passive
intermediary seeing a cleartext HTTP fragment (created by ws content) and
acting on it. as neither hybi nor httpbis made their protocols prohibit
cleartext (ugh) that threat isn't really changed by this document.

- but I do think you could very easily do a websocket extension that turned
off masking for wss:// contexts. That would be separate from this work.. I
would expect it to be pretty easy.. maybe dispatch is the right ietf venue
at this point. I think it would be easy to find implementer interest.