Re: FW: New Version Notification for draft-bishop-httpbis-http2-additional-certs-05.txt

Hi Mike,

> What the draft currently says about that is:
>
> Client implementations need to carefully consider the impact of setting
> the AUTOMATIC_USE flag. This flag is a performance optimization, permitting
> the client to avoid a round-trip on each request where the server checks
> for certificate authentication. However, once this flag has been sent, the
> client has zero knowledge about whether the server will use the referenced
> cert for any future request, or even for an existing request which has not
> yet completed. Clients MUST NOT set this flag on any certificate which is
> not appropriate for currently-in-flight requests, and MUST NOT make any
> future requests on the same connection which they are not willing to have
> associated with the provided certificate.
>

> So basically, if a client provides a certificate to example.com with
> AUTOMATIC_USE set, then later decides that it doesn’t want to use that
> certificate with example.org, then it MUST NOT send example.org requests
> on that connection and would need to start a fresh one.

Thank you for pointing that out. I remember reading the section, but it's
obvious I missed the intent of the text.

I think that you’re right that negotiation isn’t needed if the client is
> allowed to preemptively send USE_CERTIFICATE with every request.  That
> introduces a race condition where confusion could ensue about whether the
> USE_CERTIFICATE was preemptive or in response to a CERTIFICATE_NEEDED.
> However, that seems solvable if we specify timing rules.  A strawman:
>
>    - Eliminate AUTOMATIC_USE – the semantics are always true for servers
>    and never true for clients
>    - Clients which have previously been challenged for and provided a
>    certificate MAY send USE_CERTIFICATE as part of their subsequent or
>    still-open requests
>    - Servers MUST NOT send CERTIFICATE_REQUIRED before seeing a complete
>    request
>       - If the request included a USE_CERTIFICATE frame, the server MUST
>       NOT send CERTIFICATE_REQUIRED, but MAY reset the stream with a
>       NOT_WHAT_I_WANTED error code (better name TBD).
>          - Upon receipt of a NOT_WHAT_I_WANTED error, clients SHOULD
>          resend the request without a USE_CERTIFICATE frame and expect a
>          CERTIFICATE_REQUIRED frame
>       - If not, it MAY send a CERTIFICATE_REQUIRED if a certificate is
>       required.

The strawman looks good to me. Thank you for writing them down. I like the
fact that the approach is simpler than the current one, and that the
round-trips required to perform the requests have been minimized in all
cases.

I have only one comment.

You might want to adjust the timing so that we could cap the amount of
memory need to buffer a pending request (note that in case of CGI,
properties of the client certificate needs to be sent to the application
before the request body. Also I would assume that such requirement exists
for other gateway protocols).

One way to implement such cap would be to change the timing requirement as
follows:

* a client that associates a client certificate to a request MUST send
USE_CERTIFICATE frame prior to sending a DATA frame
* otherwise, a client should send the USE_CERTIFICATE frame only in
response to a CERTIFICATE_REQUIRED frame

--
Kazuho Oku