Re: New Version Notification for draft-nottingham-structured-headers-00.txt

On 11/03/2017 02:44 PM, Matthew Kerwin wrote:

> On 3 November 2017 at 15:53, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu <mailto:w@1wt.eu>>
> wrote:
>

>     A possible solution derivating from the suggestions above could
>     simply be
>     to define a few profiles for Structured Headers :
>        - SH0 : the lowest level, implementations do not support receiving as
>          large values as specified in next level (eg: my alarm clock's
>     ESP8266

> Implementations that want to speak 'Bar' but don't have native int64
> support deal with edge-cases either by using an integer-extending
> library, or by being non-compliant.  But if 'Bar' can definitely,
> reasonably, contain values beyond what the implementation can deal with,
> then that implementation was never going to be interoperable anyway.

I hesitate to bring it up but what about MPINT / BIGINT?  They're
integers too.  If you don't want a limit, then a way to escape to a
representation with a length + MSB payload will also be able to carry keys.

If a limit is ok, that the supported values doesn't fit conveniently in
the natural type for the platform is unrelated IMHO.  After all ESP8266
/ 32 can do RSA via BIGINT / MPINT.  And the compiler for ESP8266 /
ESP32 supports a 64-bit long long, there's no barrier to using it.  As
already mentioned filesizes long ago made a 32-bit limit not very
useful.  So doesn't it make sense to just require 64-bit if there's to
be a simple limit?

-Andy