Re: [hybi] New Version Notification for draft-mcmanus-httpbis-h2-websockets-00.txt

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Andy Green <andy@warmcat.com> wrote:
> Here's what I think it means for RTT... first the default as it is
>
> Client                          Server
>
>  - SETTINGS                      - SETTINGS
>  - GET /index.html
>                                  - 200 HEADERS + DATA
>
>  - :method CONNECT
>                                  - 200 HEADERS
>
>  - DATA ws handshake
>                                  - DATA ws handshake final
>
>  - DATA ...                      - DATA...
>
> So after the h2 link is up, he needs 3 x roundtrips to send some ws data.

I think that you are exaggerating the cost here.  The ws handshake and
CONNECT can be sent together.  The only real burden that Patrick's
design adds is the need to test that the server is willing to use this
design.

FWIW, if this were me, I would look at trimming the websocket
handshake instead.  Much of the overhead there is what will hurt the
overall latency.  If you took the setting as an indication that this
was an acceptable protocol, you could remove all the Upgrade business
and just start sending ws frames.  But I think that Patrick is right
to start with the minimal thing; I would recommend only doing that
with a new protocol identifier.