Re: 425 (Too Early)

> On 4 Aug 2017, at 11:18 am, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Mark and I had a little disagreement about what status code to use.
> That's why the draft says 4NN.
>
> But now it seems that people want to use this sooner rather than later
> and for that we need a number.

Well, we did, but the reason we went to 4NN is explained here:

"""
Proposals for new status codes that are not yet widely deployed ought to avoid allocating a specific number for the code until there is clear consensus that it will be registered; instead, early drafts can use a notation such as "4NN", or "3N0" .. "3N9", to indicate the class of the proposed status code(s) without consuming a number prematurely.
"""
- <http://httpwg.org/specs/rfc7231.html#considerations.for.new.status.codes>

Personally, I think a reasonable time to nail down the status code is at WG adoption, which

(chair hat on) should be very soon. Looking at the minutes, I think we can do a CfA now-ish and incorporate a code in the WG -00, after a bit of discussion.

> Would anyone object to us camping on 425?  It doesn't appear to be taken.

The first unassigned 4NN status code in <https://www.iana.org/assignments/http-status-codes/> is 418.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/