Re: New Version Notification for draft-thomson-http-replay-00.txt

On 07/20/2017 03:22 AM, Willy Tarreau wrote:
>>> Does such an implementation really exist ? I mean, for openssl, it's clearly
>>> different :
>> There's a split in the community on this point.  NSS merges the
>> streams and 0-RTT reads and writes are not different from other reads
>> and writes.
> OK then I agree it's important to take care of this. One could say that
> NSS transparently merging safe and unsafe data could cause trouble over
> the long term and should possibly be adapted, but I don't know if that's
> still possible.
>
>> I think that
>> we should take the conservative approach here.
> I agree on being conservative, which is also why I'm trying to check if
> instead we could suggest not to implement it if the underlying layer
> doesn't provide the necessary guarantees regarding received data. Do you
> have contacts with the people working on NSS to know if that would be
> something making sense for them, based on this example ?

The debate in the TLS WG over the question of needing separate APIs for
a (potentially) ideologically separate data stream was ... quite
heated.  So I was hoping to not reopen it here, given that we seem to
have ended up at a consensus that it is possible to reason correctly and
obtain correct results using either philosophical picture.

Perhaps there would only need to be a new API for "did any data on this
stream arrive as early data" (in addition to the "is the handshake
finished" API already known about).

-Ben