From: Dave Wain [mailto:dave.wain@ntlworld.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2015 1:52 PM
To: ietf-http-wg@w3.org
Subject: Brief History of Web Sessions (95/96)

Guys, a bit of history: I was the first to get web sessions to work (even though HTTP/1.0 wasn't good enough:)

I invented two methods:
a) http://www.poltara.co.uk/cgi-bin/deity?-XXXXXX-YYYYYY-ZZZZ
b) not yet disclosed.

The first method worked because argv[0]=="deity" and argv[1]== "-XXXXXX-YYYYYY-ZZZZ" on both HTTPD and IIS with both the GET and PUT methods.

The second method is not disclosed because only I know it.

THESE PREDATED ALL OTHER SOLUTIONS BECAUSE IT DIDN'T REQUIRE HIDDEN FIELDS AND COOKIES:)

The original login pages are recorded at www.archive.org.

Dave Wain

Note: This message is private and confidential and hence must be received without interception or distortion by the intended recipients only. Permission to use the information explicitly must come from the sender (and recipients).

My personal web site and alternate contact details are at:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dave.wain/.