Re: Calls for Adoption -- Cookie-Related Specifications

--------
In message <20151222094155.GC8245@1wt.eu>, Willy Tarreau writes:
>On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 05:18:39PM +1100, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>> As discussed earlier <http://www.w3.org/mid/FAF2C2E8-0A6A-4C34-B4C4-57190AAE118D@mnot.net>, we are going to use a Call for Adoption process to assure that what we specify in terms of changes to Cookies -- if anything -- will actually get implemented.
>>
>> Based on what we've talked about so far, I believe two specifications are ready for consideration:
>>
>> * https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-west-leave-secure-cookies-alone-04
>> * https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-west-cookie-prefixes-05
>>
>> So, please discuss on-list:
>>
>> 1) Your intent to implement these specifications (or lack thereof).
>> 2) Your support for these specifications (or lack thereof).

I came to the same conclusion as Willy, there is no proxy involvement
for these drafts, so I'll cast a blank vote.

But I won't miss the chance to point out, that the reason these are
problems that needs fix^H^H^Hbanda^H^H^H^H^Hkludges in the first
place is that cookies are simply the wrong way to keep state.

State should be kept server-side where it belongs, indexed by a
client chosen nonce acting as session-identifier.