Re: SSL/TLS everywhere fail

------ Original Message ------
From: "Jacob Appelbaum" <jacob@appelbaum.net>

>On 12/3/15, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
>>  --------
>>  In message
>>  <CABaLYCtBcSBO_cS_4cmhe1aLh-sN6JxeheJ1RE6HMyQ97sLV3w@mail.gmail.com>
>>  , Mike Belshe writes:
>>
>>>These types of event are GREAT for everyone [...]
>>
>>  Speak for yourself Mike.
>>
>>  No, this not great for anybody.
>>
>>  You cannot fix political problems with technological hacks
>
>Nor can you fix it with political cowardice and security nihilism!
>
>As has already been said in the thread: The technological changes
>bring the political problems into a visible space. That gives us room
>to change them in some societies and in other societies, we at least
>know this small part of the overall score.

It's ironic you mention nihilism at the same time as the situation for
those in Kazakhstan has been worsened, and whichever countries follow
suit.

They are not equally as bad off as they were before.  Before they still
had some security on https sites.  Now they have none anywhere, and they
also get to live with the performance impact of the MitM as well.

I wonder if you would still have the same view if the US government
adopted the same approach.

As for "fixing the political issue", that is not our job at all.