Re: Proposed 5xx status code for WebPush

On 20/11/2015 7:02 a.m., Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 19 November 2015 at 09:00, Cyrus Daboo wrote:
>> It seems a little odd for "success" to be indicated by a 4xx code. Why not
>> just return a 204 (No Content) for that case?
>
> I like this.  204 indicates that the content was removed
> (successfully).  A 404/410 indicates that the resource was discarded.
>
> Obviously, the 204 state might be immediately followed by the removal
> of the resource, but we don't need to separately report that.

I agree. In a system where the resource is _moved_ from the delivery URL
to elsewhere 204 makes a lot of sense.

It is also critical that the system tracks what it has previously
processed in order to send that 204 instead of a 404 long after the
object has been moved away.

Amos