Re: can h2 extension frames carry data?

> On 2 Nov 2015, at 16:12, Mike Bishop <Michael.Bishop@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Is there value in a DROPPED_UNKNOWN_FRAME frame?

I don’t think so. However, I *do* think there’d be value in a DROPPED_UNKNOWN_FRAME error code that can be sent on a RST_STREAM frame. This would allow us to say that implementations MAY send a RST_STREAM frame with that error code set if a frame is dropped.

You could even go further and have a flag on frames that requires doing that (a MUST_ERROR_IF_DROPPED flag, essentially). This allows for implementations to say that certain extension frames are critical to understand, and if you don’t understand them you need to let the other implementation know.

Of course, changing the frame header at this late stage is probably too late, but in hindsight this seems like a nice thing to have had.

Cory