Re: Accept Push Policy draft

Cory,

On 27/10/15 01:30, Cory Benfield wrote:

> > On 27 Oct 2015, at 02:54, Hervé Ruellan <herve.ruellan@crf.canon.fr>
> wrote:
> >
> > The Accept Push Policy Draft [1] is a proposal for enabling a client
> and a server negotiate how the server uses HTTP/2 push. This is
> realized by defining possible "push policies", i.e. behaviours, that
> the server can use while responding to the client's request.
> >
> > These ideas took their origin in the MPEG DASH FDH group, which is
> looking on how DASH can take advantages of bidirectional protocols
> such as HTTP/2 and WebSocket.
> >
> > The draft is a proposal to take these ideas and make them available
> for wider usage, keeping only the "push policies" that can be used by
> any generic HTTP/2 server.
> >
> > Comments are welcome !
> >
> > Hervé.
> >

> > [1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ruellan-http-accept-push-policy-00
> >

> Hervé,
>
> My first impression on this draft is really positive: it seems like an
> extremely useful header field, and potentially extremely flexible. I
> have some notes:
>
> - Section 3: Your italics didn’t render out, you have explicit
> underscores. I assume that’s not intentional.

I'll check that for the next draft.

> - Section 3.1: I think the Accept-Push-Policy should be extended to
> support a comma-separated list. It seems insufficiently flexible to
> allow only one push policy to be requested, especially if
> custom/private push-policies are defined. More generally, a
> comma-separated list will help ensure that push policies are kept
> simple and tightly scoped, rather than encouraging policies to be
> monolithic to allow multiple behaviours.

I we have only a small set of push-policies, requesting only one policy
in the Accept-Push-Policy header may be sufficient. However, I rather
agree with you that being able to specify several push-policies
(potentially with a preference parameter) adds much more flexibility.

> Those are my initial notes, but I’m going to keep a close eye on this
> draft! Great work!

Thanks,

> Cory

Hervé