Re: Stephen Farrell's Discuss on draft-ietf-httpbis-cice-02: (with DISCUSS)

On 2015-09-03 03:01, Stephen Farrell wrote:

> On 03/09/15 01:52, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>> Something like this, perhaps?
>>    http://httpwg.github.io/specs/rfc7540.html#rfc.section.10.6
>
> Yes and no.
>
> No. The URL above is for HTTP/2 and this is a header usable in
> HTTP/1.1 so is not the same. Adding this to a system that is
> currently safe wrt BREACH is also perhaps not the same as doing
> HTTP/2 from scratch and ending up safe wrt BREACH.

Note that the spec doesn't really introduce compression for
client->server. This feature has been around for ages. All the spec does
is make feature discovery and diagnostics easier.

I agree that it would be good to have security considerations with
respect to gzip encoding in HTTP/1.1, but that ultimately belongs into
the revisions of RFC 7230 and 7231, not here. (I just opened
https://github.com/httpwg/http11bis/issues/6>).

> But more importantly, yes, I'm asking about the kind of analysis
> that lead to the section 10.6 you point at.

There was no analysis because the use of compression in this
client->server direction really really isn't new at all.

Best regards, Julian