Re: Call for Adoption: draft-grigorik-http-client-hints

On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 11:13 PM, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> We discussed this document in Dallas, and also a bit in Prague:
>  <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-grigorik-http-client-hints-02>

That draft is a bit out of date, please see:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-grigorik-http-client-hints-03

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 8:05 AM, Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz> wrote:

> I've always been a little mystified why these were even being asked for.
> The tools available for on-device decisions about display are pretty
> good, an coding frameworks make development for those easy.

For good or worse, many apps use signals like DPR and viewport size as
routing decisions to deliver alternate experiences. Others use it as a
latency optimization to avoid shipping unnecessary bytes (your eliding use
case), or to avoid incurring an extra RTT to determine which resources are
need.

In absence of CH we have commercial device databases based on UA sniffing,
developers stuffing this data into cookies, or delayed fetches due to the
extra RTT's required to first fetch necessary conditional logic. All of
which are painful and expensive, both for server and app developers.
Granted, CH doesn't magically solve all that, but it does establish a
common language and mechanism to remove the biggest pain points.

> The URL-path with values in such places like filenames are just the
> optimal form in terms of reduced latency from faster cache aggregation
> and lookup. Actively increasing network latency by using negotiated
> features seems a daft approach when its unnecessary.

They may be optimal for server and proxy developers, but they're not always
optimal for app developers.

For example, there is a lot of content where you can't update the URLs
easily or at all, and yet many organizations that have such content still
want to deliver optimized resources.

Similarly, even when you may be able to update the URLs, how many variants
are you willing to list in your markup? For DPR-coverage of image assets
alone you need at least three resolutions (1x/2x/3x), but there is also a
wide array of devices in middle that you'll be serving wasted bytes to.
Also factor in viewport-width, and more dynamic properties like user
preferences for 'reduced data usage', etc, and now you're looking at a
rather complicated proposition just to serve a single image asset... Then
<your favorite vendor> comes out with a new shiny resolution and you have
to go back and add that case to all of your pages.

Granted the above work still has to happen somewhere... So, either we punt
this to the developer and mandate that they need to list every plausible
variant and keep it up to date (which is how we end up where we are today,
with loads of poorly optimizing images -- e.g. ~50% compression savings
from various browser proxies, 90% of which is from image resizing+scaling),
or we allow the UA + server to automate some or all of it. CH is about
enabling the latter.

ig