Re: secure HTTPS redirect - encoding a new trust anchor?

Hiya,

On 12/08/15 17:56, Kent Watsen wrote:
> I think your question regards the general applicability of this idea by
> web browsers, where having the web browser dynamically learn a new trust
> anchor certificate, even if over a trusted connection, can lead to misuse.
>  Is that right?   - that is, is your concern is for generic use more so
> than the specific use of zerotouch bootstrapping?

Sort of. I'm concerned with generic *ab*use (well also with specific
abuses:-)

The example you gave would appear to allow widget-vendor.com to arrange
that the HTTP client ends up talking to widget-vendor.com but thinking
it is talking to my-os-update.com. I'd say that's a pretty dangerous
implement esp given the 1000's of perhaps not very highly experienced
and universally trusted widget vendors in the universe.

Cheers,
S.