Re: secure HTTPS redirect - encoding a new trust anchor?

Hi Kent,

On 12/08/15 16:33, Kent Watsen wrote:

>                          Trusted
>                       Internet-based      Deployment-specific
> Device               Bootstrap Server       Bootstrap Server
>   |                          |                     |
>   |                          |                     |
>   | HTTPS using factory      |                     |
>   | default trust anchor     |                     |
>   |------------------------->|                     |
>   |                          |                     |
>   |    HTTP redirect, with   |                     |
>   |    deployment-specific   |                     |
>   |    trust anchor          |                     |
>   |<-------------------------|                     |
>   |                          |                     |
>   |                                                |
>   |HTTPS using learned trust anchor                |
>   |----------------------------------------------->|
>   |                                                |

> FWIW, this is considered secure, as the trust anchor is learned through a
> trusted connection.

Eh... considered secure by whom? I would not consider
that "secure" if any widget-vendor from whom I purchase
anything can then pretend to be any web site.

Do you really mean trust-anchor here? Or perhaps you
mean "some kind of special public key only to be used
for the specific URL that is in this 30x response and
only for 1 (really 1?) time"?

And what if that URL is say bigbank.example.com? How
is that to not work?

I guess I'm a bit puzzled.

S.