Re: SCIM thought experiment of draft-snell-search-method-00

Mark,

Thanks for taking a look.

Yes you are correct about POST. But the downside for a profile like SCIM is having multiple very different protocol operations using the same method. (Which is what SCIM 2 currently ended up doing)

Mime-type is another issue. We defined a mime type for scim that covers the entire spec. Solving the problem changing the operation type with mime type is another way that can work but it now complicated scim mimes (from just one). It also feels like "tunnelling".

Scim 2 ended up using a schemas attribute with an iana registered urn to do the signalling.

Scim won't necessarily look at this search method right away. I wanted to give the httpbis WG an idea of how search could simplify a restful spec by keeping operation definition simple/consistent and mine type focused on xml vs json rather then tunneling a new protocol method.

Thanks,

Phil