Re: dont-revalidate Cache-Control header

From: Ben Maurer <ben.maurer@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 10:23:09 +0100
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Cc: Guille -bisho- <bishillo@gmail.com>, Amos Jeffries <squid3@treenet.co.nz>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 9:07 PM, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Like I said, you can implement your proposed solution today, without
> writing any standards.  Sure, only Chrome supports it right now, but
> that's a whole lot more of the web than none of it.

Using unique URIs to define resources is a common behavior to many sites
and is widely recommended in blogs/books/etc. It seems worth creating a
standard way to implement this recommendation that is far simpler than a
service worker.

Shift-reload is a tool we provide our users to get around this class of
> problem.

This draft does not suggest altering the behavior of shift-reload.
Shift-reload should continue to be an absolute refresh of the site -- for
example I believe in Chrome shift-reload even ignores service workers. In
future drafts it may be worth being more clear about this behavior.

-b