RE: HTTP/2 extensibility <draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-17>

Mike,

I omitted to comment on the rather unconventional structure of
SETTINGS frames too, which makes SETTINGS both hard to extend and inefficient.

"A SETTINGS frame with a length other than a multiple of 6 octets
MUST be treated as a connection error"
The SETTINGS frame structure seems not to use the extensible
type-length-value (TLV) design, that has been tried and tested for
binary protocols over decades.

The 16b SETTINGS type is currently used for 6 values (1-6).
Extensibility to allow the other 65,530 values will be fairly
pointless if each of their values has to fit within 32b.

A [T:L:V] of [8:8:variable] octets would probably have been
sufficient, more efficient and far more flexible.

Bob

[Side-stepping Poul-Henning's comments that are probably true, but
perhaps not phrased in a way that will persuade you to reconsider.]

At 13:35 06/03/2015, Bob Briscoe wrote:
>Mike,
>
>At 18:22 05/03/2015, Mike Bishop wrote:
>>Hi, Bob -
>>
>>Let me try to address a few of your points.  The logic behind
>>"discard unknown" is precisely so that new frame types can be
>>added.  If you receive a frame type that you know and can validate
>>the length, then you're able to reject it as an improper length --
>>but if it's a frame type you don't recognize, the length allows you
>>to skip past it.
>
>That's only an argument for having a length field. It doesn't
>justify 'discard unknown' any more than it justifies 'ignore
>unknown'. And it doesn't justify hard-coding the predetermined valid
>length into the implementation.
>
>>So, just as you suggest, the worst case is to inject something that
>>gets ignored.  There were concerns raised with forwarding frame
>>types you don't understand, particularly when you consider a
>>connection to an intermediary where different streams may be going
>>to different servers on the back-end.  If the frames on different
>>streams were related in some way, but you could only untangle the
>>relation if you understood the frames, the eventual recipients
>>would get fragmentary conversations.  (Think of a shared
>>compression context across streams, for example.)
>
>OK, that /is/ a valid argument for 'discard unknown' rather than
>'forward unknown'.
>
>But I suggested a solution to that; if it's unknown, there could be
>a field in the frame that says whether to forward or discard it
>(aka. late binding, like in IPv6 extension headers). Then:
>* if a new frame type would be susceptible to inconsistency over
>different paths, it can be flagged as 'discard unknown'.
>* Otherwise it would be flagged as 'forward unknown'.
>* And if we're not sure, we can play safe and flag it as 'discard
>unknown' anyway.
>
>Then you could keep the tightly consistent design you want today (by
>setting discard unknown on all frame types), but you haven't
>foreclosed on a 'forward unknown' frame type if you really need it in future.
>
>During the design discussions, did anyone suggest this 'late binding' idea?
>
>>For this reason, it was decided that extension frames should be
>>hop-by-hop, but could be defined such that a recipient who
>>understands the frame would relay it onto subsequent
>>connections.  New extensions can define additional frames, and can
>>define the processing of them.  That processing may include
>>whether/how to forward them to the next hop, if you're an
>>intermediary.  I would consider it good practice for any extension
>>which defines frames to also define intermediary behavior, but the
>>WG opted not to make that good practice a normative requirement.
>
>There seems to be an assumption that implementers will add new
>features even though they won't work e2e until everyone else has
>implemented and deployed the same feature. That seems to overlook
> [...]

Bob Briscoe,                                                  BT