Re: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7230 (4189)

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 4:32 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
> It should be verified as technical, but (like Julian) I think the
> fix should be limited to field-content and obs-fold:
>
> Section: 3.2
>
> Original Text
> -------------
>      field-name     = token
>      field-value    = *( field-content / obs-fold )
>      field-content  = field-vchar [ 1*( SP / HTAB ) field-vchar ]
>      field-vchar    = VCHAR / obs-text
>
>      obs-fold       = CRLF 1*( SP / HTAB )
>                     ; obsolete line folding
>                     ; see Section 3.2.4
>
> Corrected Text
> --------------
>      field-name     = token
>      field-value    = *( field-content / obs-fold )
>      field-content  = field-vchar [ 1*( SP / HTAB / field-vchar ) field-vchar ]
>      field-vchar    = VCHAR / obs-text
>
>      obs-fold       = OWS CRLF RWS
>                     ; obsolete line folding
>                     ; see Section 3.2.4
>
> This fixes the problem examples and keeps obs-fold separate from field-content.
> It would be best if some other folks could confirm the above before making
> the errata official.
>
> ....Roy

Roy's proposal still leaves leading/trailing obs-folds inside
field-value, which Simon's proposal tries to address.

The original text, which appears more complicated than necessary, was
probably trying to trim white spaces as well from core elements, a
practice that's consistently followed throughout the RFC.

Zhong Yu