Re: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7230 (4189)

From: Zhong Yu <zhong.j.yu@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2015 06:57:57 -0600
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
Cc: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@greenbytes.de>, RFC Errata System <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>, Pete Resnick <presnick@qti.qualcomm.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, simon.schueppel@googlemail.com, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 4:32 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
> It should be verified as technical, but (like Julian) I think the
> fix should be limited to field-content and obs-fold:
>
> Section: 3.2
>
> Original Text
> -------------
>      field-name     = token
>      field-value    = *( field-content / obs-fold )
>      field-content  = field-vchar [ 1*( SP / HTAB ) field-vchar ]
>      field-vchar    = VCHAR / obs-text
>
>      obs-fold       = CRLF 1*( SP / HTAB )
>                     ; obsolete line folding
>                     ; see Section 3.2.4
>
> Corrected Text
> --------------
>      field-name     = token
>      field-value    = *( field-content / obs-fold )
>      field-content  = field-vchar [ 1*( SP / HTAB / field-vchar ) field-vchar ]
>      field-vchar    = VCHAR / obs-text
>
>      obs-fold       = OWS CRLF RWS
>                     ; obsolete line folding
>                     ; see Section 3.2.4
>
> This fixes the problem examples and keeps obs-fold separate from field-content.
> It would be best if some other folks could confirm the above before making
> the errata official.
>
> ....Roy

Roy's proposal still leaves leading/trailing obs-folds inside
field-value, which Simon's proposal tries to address.

The original text, which appears more complicated than necessary, was
probably trying to trim white spaces as well from core elements, a
practice that's consistently followed throughout the RFC.

Zhong Yu