Re: New tunnel protocol

From: Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot@laposte.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 10:48:23 +0100
To: "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: "Amos Jeffries" <squid3@treenet.co.nz>, ietf-http-wg@w3.org

Le Mer 28 janvier 2015 03:35, Mark Nottingham a écrit :
Hi,

> What you seem to be asking for is to know whether encryption is going to
> be used in a tunnel up-front when you see a connection. In the current
> environment, designing this to allow intermediaries to discriminate
> against encrypted connections would be unlikely to gain traction, I think.

It's not discrimination. Without TLS you can cache, with TLS you can not.
Thus TLS changes the bandwidth constrains, and the kind of middlebox the
data flow must be routed through to succeed.

The middlebox-hostile stance you describe only results in middleboxes
failing to make the correct decisions when relaying data, and web clients
complaining that the brand new protocols they tried to smuggle through TLS
tunnels fail right and left on the real Internet.

Sometimes I wonder if they actually want their stuff to work, or just want
to have someone to point the finger to.

--
Nicolas Mailhot