Re: New tunnel protocol

On 28/01/2015 9:42 a.m., Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 27 January 2015 at 11:56, Adrien de Croy wrote:
>> therein the problem.  Surely if the next protocol after TLS is smtp, then
>> you don't advertise smtps in the TLS ALPN????
>
> Why?  It's not like the TLS magically disappears even if you can decrypt it.
>
>> Pretty sure captures I've seen
>> seen for https, only advertise http inside the ALPN field in the TLS client
>> hello message.
>
> The string "http/1.1" means HTTP/1.1 over TLS.

... and the ALPN string that means HTTP/1.1 over TCP is also "http/1.1".

I need to separately identify these two for a real-world case without
reading any bytes following the CONNECT message. How?

What I understand is that every other protocol *except* HTTP/2 uses its
plain-text protocol label to signal "next protocol" in places like ALPN.
So there is no way for any of those protocols to signal the existence of
TLS using their regular label.

Amos