Re: Server Push used for long polling

From: Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 23:22:53 +0100
To: Mike Bishop <Michael.Bishop@microsoft.com>
Cc: Wenbo Zhu <wenboz@google.com>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 15 January 2015 at 23:06, Mike Bishop <Michael.Bishop@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> You’re correct – that’s more equivalent.  But I’ve seen WebSockets used in
> the same way, even though it has broader capabilities.

True,

The problem with server sent events is that there is no guarantee that an
intermediary will forward the content in chunks.   A caching proxy might
try to cache the entire response.

So websocket is preferable if it is able to connect.    Never really
understood why W3C went for two such similar mechanisms in HTML5 when
websockets can do the job of both.

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>  @  Webtide - *an Intalio subsidiary*