Re: [IANA #801638] Last Call: <draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-16.txt> (Hypertext Transfer Protocol version 2) to Proposed Standard

On 14/01/2015 12:37 p.m., Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> It should be registered as safe and idempotent (YES to both).
>
> ....Roy

Disagree.

Idempotent requires being repeatable. The client is permitted by
HTTP/2 to pipeline many requests immediately which may affect the
server state with HTTP/2 non-idempotent messages before the initial
SETTINGS arrives from server. PRI is only retriable if the server
response is an HTTP/1.x format error message indicating an h2 server
never got the HTTP/2 payload.

Safe requires no effect on the server, and implies cacheability. As
above the simple act of delivering PRI and some initial payload bytes
can be an entire HTTP/2 transaction for an unsafe method. Neither is
the server response (in HTTP/2 format) to this message cacheable.

Amos