Re: Last Call: <draft-ietf-httpbis-http2-16.txt> (Hypertext Transfer Protocol version 2) to Proposed Standard

From: Cory Benfield <cory@lukasa.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 09:44:39 +0000
To: "Constantine A. Murenin" <cnst@netbsd.org>
Cc: "ietf-http-wg@w3.org" <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, ietf@ietf.org, iesg@ietf.org, iesg-secretary@ietf.org, mouse@netbsd.org, djb@cr.yp.to
On 10 January 2015 at 08:09, Constantine A. Murenin <cnst@netbsd.org> wrote:
> I am sincerely asking for the IETF to not approve HTTP/2 as a standard
> without the compatibility issues as above being addressed first.  The policy
> to abandon the http:// address scheme and adopt https:// will only promote a
> significant link rot for the future generations to experience well into the
> future (didn't we think TLS 1.0 was good enough?), and will curtail
> independent and hobbyist operators.

For the sake of clarity: no such policy exists in the specification as
drafted by this working group. The policy comes from specific
implementers, most notably Chrome and Firefox, as discussed by Amos
and Willy. I recommend taking your complaint up with those
implementers through their recommended feature request/bug reporting
channels.