Re: Reviving discussion on error code 451

The Tor guys have also said that the blocked-by-origin vs
blocked-by-intermediary distinction is interesting to them.  And I’m not
deeply opposed to it.

But I wonder if there are even more subtle distinctions lurking in there,
I’m a little nervous about diverting attention away from where it should be
pointed, which is what the legal demand actually is.  Maybe one status code
is still the right thing, with explanations of the details of the blockage
implementation left for human-readable text in the message body.

There are a lot of other distinctions you could try to capture - civil vs
criminal law, intellectual property vs not, temporary vs permanent.dnd we
don’t want to go down the path of designing a universal taxonomy of
blocking scenarios.

--
- Tim Bray (If you’d like to send me a private message, see
https://keybase.io/timbray)