Re: Alt-Svc #62: proxies

On 12/06/2015 8:44 a.m., Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 11 June 2015 at 08:54, Ryan Hamilton <rch@google.com> wrote:
>> I'm not sure about this. Consider the case where a client is configured to
>> use proxy.example.com for all request. The client wants to request
>> https://www.service.com/. To do this, the browser connects to the proxy and
>> issues a CONNECT request, resulting in a TLS handshake and an HTTP/2
>> connection (via the proxy) to ww.service.com:443. Now, lets say that the
>> client wants to request https://mail.service.com. Previously,
>> mail.service.com advertised www.service.com:443 as an alternative service.
>> Should not the client be able to use the existing (tunneled through the
>> proxy) connection to www.service.com:443? The TLS connection *is* end-to-end
>> in this case (though the underlying TPC connection is not).
>
> Do we consider the proxy to be configured for the request or the connection?
>
> I know that sophistry, but maybe it makes sense to invent that
> distinction for this purpose.

I dont think it matters.

The client UA has chosen to use www.service.com:443 and its configured
to use the proxy when sending requests to that authority. Whether it
re-uses the same connection or creates another CONNECT through the proxy
it should still be following the configured next-hop.

Thats usually the whole point of such configuration existing at all.

Amos