Re: draft-thomson-http-encryption-00 - Logjam

Hiya,

I'm not so sure we have IETF consensus on the right way to
balance between widely used named fields vs. individually
crafted fields for integer DH. (Just for clarity: for ECDH
I think the former approach is fairly clearly where we're
at and is fine.)

The downside of the latter approach is that if one doesn't
check the offered values, then one can be open to attack,
and the checks needed can be onerous (e.g. checking primality).
Personally, I think the paper goes too far towards
recommending site-specific primes be used as we do have a
real history of that causing issues in some implementations
that omit checks on received values and other implementations
that send bad values. (Don't have a reference to hand sorry.)

Anyway, I think this'll be fully discussed as part of the
TLS1.3 work, and the topic is being discussed on the TLS WG
list now, so by the time  draft-thomson-http-encryption is
baked, I think we'll know what to say in that.

Cheers,
S.