Re: can GET do for QUERY? extending Partial Content

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 10:12:59AM +0200, henry.story@bblfish.net wrote:
> Adding the query in the GET body, allows for semantically well defined
> query languages to be used, that could become globally available across the
> web.
>
> For the type of queries I am interested in that provide partial
> representations of the original resource, GET fits the bill. There
> is precedent for partial representations too. Essentially we are suggesting
> extending the partial representation concept to allow us to specify the
> representation using more complex languages than those provided by byte
> ordering.
>
> I hope that helps show that this is not an abuse of GET, it just extends
> existing usage.

You may want to extend but you cannot decide to replace existing products
which will not comply with your extensions unfortunately. There *are* many
deployed products which will not cope well with a body in a GET request
for various reasons and while I agree that from a messaging perspective
it should not be a problem, from an interoperability perspective it's
definitely going to be one.

Willy