Re: An HTTP Status Code to Report Legal Obstacles and 451

Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>: (Mon Apr 27 21:45:54 2015)
> Right, that implementation can be ignored -- it is an application-specific hack
> defined incorrectly in every respect (wrong class, wrong behavior, wrong
> dependence on response extension header fields, wrong use of x-*, etc.).
>
> ....Roy

Yes, for application that new use does not cause problems

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg651019

| If an X-MS-Location header is present in the response, all subsequent requests SHOULD use the URL
| specified within the X-MS-Location header. If the server does not provide an X-MS-Location header in
| its response to the client, then the full Autodiscover command process is followed, as specified in
| [MS-ASCMD].

Probably right thing to do anyway (that is: run Autodiscover)

There was

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2014OctDec/0919.html

| Would immensely appreciate an error code for legal interference.

If same code is used for something other, is this screwing collected
statistics?

But in practise this ActiveSync runs on https, so it unlikely(?) that interfering
party is able to insert that new exit code so that client accepts connection.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee178067%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx

| There are no special security considerations specific to this specification. It is recommended that
| communication between the client and server occur across an HTTP connection secured by the Secure
| Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol.
|
| When connecting to a server using SSL, clients are required to support server certificates that use the
| Subject Alternative Name for domain names, as specified in [RFC4985], as well as wildcard certificate
| names, as specified in [RFC2818] and [RFC3280].

I guess that this "An HTTP Status Code to Report Legal Obstacles" in practise apply
only to http connections -- https connections just fails (or clients/browsers ignore
certificate error?).

( Perhaps somewhere trusted CA can do that, but I think that discussion
 goes out of scope. And this case perhaps that http status code is not used
 anyhow.

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2014OctDec/0900.html

)

/ Kari Hurtta