Re: Proposed HTTP SEARCH method update - QUERY is to GET what PATCH is to PUT

I prefer QUERY but was outvoted.

All the best, Ashok

On 4/27/2015 4:34 PM, henry.story@bblfish.net wrote:

> [...]
>    This is not the case for a QUERY verb following the restrictions you proposed. Here a cache seeing that a successfil PUT or a PATCH on the same URL has taken place can immediately invalidate all the QUERY results it has for that resource. Of course a DELETE would invalidate all the QUERY cache too.
>    - The same is true for time to live information for query urls, which are disconnected from the
>   original resource
>    - The cache cannot itself respond to queries, which it might be able to do if it had the full representation returned by a GET on that resource. ( something we would be able to explore if we
> define it correctly )
>
> • Access Control
>     With query urls you have a huge number of URLs referring to resources with exactly the same access control rules as the non query resource. This means much more complex access control rules, more work tracking of rights managements, privacy settings, etc...
>

>> BTW, HTTP defines caches based on the generic method/response relationship, not based on the
>> GET/representation relationship.  It is possible to cache responses to arbitrary methods if
>> the response indicates it is cacheable.  What is difficult is how to determine the cache key
>> for a given request, which HTTP only defines only for GET and for responses containing the
>> Content-Location header field (new methods would have to define their own cache keys).
>> Generic HTTP caches only implement for GET/HEAD because the likelihood of receiving a
>> later hit on a cached entry for anything other than GET is so ridiculously tiny that it isn't
>> worth caching outside of application-specific client caches (for which generic semantics
>> are usually irrelevant because the application can be tightly coupled to the cache).
>
> Speaking from my own experience, which I think can generalise to other frameworks, I know there are applications using the semantic web where we want to write client applications that can follow linked data around the web using just RESTful interaction patterns where QUERY would be very important method: it would allow the client to be able to build up quickly user interfaces by fetching just the data in a resource that it needs for the current display: eg. the minimal bounded graph around a node in a graph. Here time is critical: the User Interface has to display quickly and be reactive. If we are limited only to GET on a resource that is being downloaded somewhere from the  web by following links, that may also be of unknown size, we won't be able to gain adoption. This is why for me it is very important that the "query be within the scope of the current representation of a single resource", even if this resource can of course make statements about other resources, as at!
 om feeds
 do all the time. This is because the client needs to know that the query on a particular resource is just a part of what it would have gotten had it asked for a GET. It would be of no use for the client if a QUERY on one resource just gave it information about some arbitrary other resource.