Re: Overhead of HTTP/2 Stream Management.

Max,

I don't see much difference between the stream overheads of HTTP/2 vs the
connection overheads of HTTP/1.

Both need open/close state kept and even in HTTP/1 that state is moderately
complex as you can be half closed in and/or half closed out; the response
can complete before the request; there are multiple sources of events
(application vs network) that can race on state changes; the server has a
requirement to reliably deliver a serialised event stream to the
application without duplicates or loopbacks.    Unless the server/client
keeps good atomic state on the open/closed status, then there are going to
be lost events and/or leaked resources.

In jetty the vast majority of this state overhead is in common code used by
both HTTP/1 and HTTP/2.    This code used to be a lot simpler in older
versions of our HTTP/1 on server... but it was wrong code that missed many
edge cases when presented with fully asynchronous applications.   Closing
asynchronous streams is just complex and multiplexing changes that very
little. It just makes the network event stream look a little different and
some events are distributed to multiple listeners.

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>  @  Webtide - *an Intalio subsidiary*