Re: Reviving discussion on error code 451

Uh, 410: “The requested resource is no longer available at the server and
no forwarding address is known. This condition is expected to be considered
permanent. Clients with link editing capabilities SHOULD delete references
to the Request-URI after user approval. If the server does not know, or has
no facility to determine, whether or not the condition is permanent, the
status code 404 (Not Found) SHOULD be used instead. This response is
cacheable unless indicated otherwise.”

Are you seriously suggesting that 410 is appropriate?  I’m trying not to
find this suggestion offensive, but having difficulty.

What you refer to as “all the legal hooha” is exactly the point: They wish
to report breakage, and it’s good engineering discipline to provide
high-quality, informative, diagnostics in the case of breakage. So when the
breakage is legal there should be a way to say so. The way I would go about
ameliorating breakage is entirely different for 401, 403, 404, and 5XX; and
would be different again for 451.

Legal obstacles are a cause of internet breakage which are empirically
observed to occur, and as protocol designers we should include them in our
diagnostic repertoire.

--
- Tim Bray (If you’d like to send me a private message, see
https://keybase.io/timbray)