Re: a question about TLS renegotiation on ID 15

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014, at 16:30, Kazu Yamamoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't understand what section 9.2.1. is tyring to specify. One
> paragraph says:
>
> 	"The TLS implementation MUST disable renegotiation."
>
> But the following paragraph says:
>
> 	"A client MAY use renegotiation"
>
> It seems to me that these are a contradiction. How should I interpret
> these paragraphs?

I agree, the wording is confusing (and it trips me up every time I read
that section), but if you continue reading the second paragraph, you'll
note it says that any renegotiation "MUST occur prior to sending the
connection preface."

These two paragraphs are just a way of saying "once any party to the
connection has started speaking h2, you MUST NOT renegotiate". At least,
that's how I interpret them. Maybe someone (Martin or myself) will find
the cycles on a plane to HNL to write up a pull request to clarify the
language.
--
Peace,
  -Nick