Re: #612: 9.2.2 requirements

> On 1 Nov 2014, at 6:42 am, Jason Greene <jason.greene@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> The arguments that this is a process or layering issue are not valid; both have been refuted.
>
> It would be great to hear the refutation to Microsoft’s position that the UTA is more appropriate for mandating TLS implementation API enhancements, and not the HTTP WG:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2014OctDec/0114.html

The only applicable argument I see there is "Historically this type of document is separate from the core protocol”.

UTA was chartered to recommend best practices for existing protocols, and give guidelines to future protocols; it does not constrain what we can do with TLS. I specifically asked this question during the chartering process for UTA and was satisfied with the result; HTTP/2’s approach to TLS is *not* controlled by UTA.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/