Re: Origin cookies

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 9:29 PM, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Oh, I have a very different threat model in mind.  That threat model
> is the one that Secure addresses, namely that an origin can request
> that cookies it gives out are not distributed by the client to other
> hosts.

Ok. Origin cookies address this concern by locking the cookies to the
origin that set them. An origin cookie set by `example.com` would not be
sent to `subdomain.example.com` and vice versa. I think we're on the same
page here.

> And when you send cookies, you don't necessarily know that
> they support origin cookies, so you are taking a risk.

One way of mitigating this risk is to force the user agent to _always_ send
an `Origin-Cookie` header as a feature detection mechanism.

You seem to be more concerned with the converse aspect: that other
> domains (subdomains or parent domains, HTTP or JavaScript) can alter
> the cookies that you see in requests.

I'm certainly concerned about `subdomain.example.com`'s ability to set
cookies for `example.com`. And even more about `http://example.com:1999`
setting cookies for `https://example.com:443`. Those are both use cases I
think origin cookies can help with.

--
Mike West <mkwst@google.com>
Google+: https://mkw.st/+, Twitter: @mikewest, Cell: +49 162 10 255 91

Google Germany GmbH, Dienerstrasse 12, 80331 München, Germany
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Geschäftsführer: Graham Law, Christine Elizabeth Flores
(Sorry; I'm legally required to add this exciting detail to emails. Bleh.)