Re: #578: getting real-ish numbers for option 3

On 24 October 2014 21:01, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:
> BTW, I forgot to say something, I was very surprized to find the encoding
> for character zero in the huffmann table be shorter than some non-ascii
> encodings, and the same size as some chars such as '
> or '@'. I wonder
> how this byte could have landed here with such a high frequency. Wouldn't
> this mean that the trailing zero of analyzed strings was accidentely
> counted when the table was built ? That probably has a very minimal impact
> on the overall compression ratio but I found this surprizing.

That's because it was being used to delineate values for repeated
header fields, prior to the removal of the reference set.  We could
remove it from the frequency analysis and generate a new character
table if we were making other changes.  The difference might not be
noticeable.

https://github.com/http2/http2-spec/issues/636 opened and closed.