Re: Straw Poll: Restore Header Table and Static Table Indices

> On Oct 21, 2014, at 4:32 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
>
> --------
> In message <20141021092505.GA30397@1wt.eu>, Willy Tarreau writes:
>
>> I would guess they should appear in the order above, though that's not
>> obvious to me. And I'm still sad at the idea of leaving many encoding
>> values unused (eg: static header values above 16). Thus, we'll typically
>> have 48 possible values out of 256 for the first byte that will never be
>> emitted just for the indexed headers alone, that's a 20% waste,
>
> If you are that worried about wasted compression opportunities, you
> should spend your time to get timestamps compressed to integers since
> that will save more bytes than you can ever do by tweaking the current
> HPACK in any way.

+Graham’s number

I am still surprised we aren’t doing this, as it would mean huge bandwidth and performance savings. I like the idea of an extension, which hopefully transitions to an official part of HTTP/3.

--
Jason T. Greene
JBoss, a division of Red Hat