Re: Question about HTTP 2.0 priority

Hi Amos,

*On the dependency tree:*

Over the weekend, I built a little simulation of HTTP 2 priority semantics
to get a feel for how it would play out.  Note: I ignored weight, since
weight and priority are different concepts, and weight is not useful for my
use case or particularly controversial.

https://github.com/chadaustin/Web-Benchmarks/blob/master/http2/simpriority.py

The implementation of the dependency tree on the server side is
straightforward.  However, it seems that changing priority via the PRIORITY
frame is O(depth(parent) - depth(stream)) for the cycle check.  For a
mostly linear dependency tree, this means reprioritizing is approximately
O(n) where n is the number live streams.

Is there a faster way to detect whether a stream is going to be prioritized
below one of its children?

*On mapping priority numbers to the dependency tree:*
By keeping a sorted, stable list of (priority, stream_id), with, say, O(lg
N) right-insertion, we can implement the invariant that "requests of higher
priority are higher in the tree.  within a priority level, streams are
ordered in request order."  This could be implemented with a self-balancing
binary tree.

The prioritization algorithm described results in a linear dependency
"tree".  This means that reprioritization is approximately O(n) per
PRIORITY frame.  Given even our simple use case can request up to
10,000-20,000 assets at a time, reprioritization cost is worth worrying
about.

If it's truly the case that PRIORITY is O(depth(parent) - depth(stream)),
does that leave an implementation of HTTP 2's priority graph open to denial
of service?

p.s. While I have argued for a simple priority integer (and have not yet
ruled out that a priority integer would be superior), I see the advantages
of the dependency tree model.  The dependency tree model defines a partial
ordering and thus sidesteps the problem of calibration.  "What does
priority 100 mean?  200?  What priority value do XHR requests get?  Image
loads?  HTML loads?"  The dependency tree model lets you say "A before B"
or "A before B and its siblings".

Design by committee can work, but you should consider maintaining a set of
rationales for design decisions.  :)

--
Chad Austin
http://chadaustin.me