Re: why not multiple, short-lived HTTP/2 connections?

All,

Another huge issue is that for some reason I still see many TCP connections that do not advertise support for window scaling in the SYN packet. I'm really not sure why this is but for instance WPT test instances are running Windows 7 and yet they do not advertise window scaling and so TCP connections max out at a send window of 64 KB. I've seen this in tests run out of multiple different WPT test locations.

The impact of this is that high latency connections max out at very low throughputs. Here's an example (with tcpdump output so you can examine the TCP flow on the wire) where I download data from a SPDY-enabled web server in Virginia from a WPT test instance running in Sydney: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/140629_XG_1JC/1/details/. Average throughput is not even 3 Mbps despite the fact that I chose a 20 Mbps FIOS connection for my test. Note that when I disable SPDY on this web server, I render the page almost twice as fast because I am using multiple connections and therefore overcoming the per connection throughput limitation: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/140629_YB_1K5/1/details/.

I don't know the root cause (Windows 7 definitely sends windows scaling option in SYN in other tests) and have sent a note to the webpagetest.org admin but in general there are reasons why even Windows 7 machines sometimes appear to not use Windows scaling, causing single connection SPDY to perform really badly even beyond the slow start phase.

SPDY/HTTP2 is supposed to be about faster. Let's encourage browser developers to make use of the new protocol to make web browsing as fast as possible -- and not limit them to one connection and therefore essentially ask them to do so with one hand tied behind their backs.

Thanks,

Peter