Re: CONTINUATION was: #540: "jumbo" frames

On 26 June 2014 23:41, Roberto Peon <grmocg@gmail.com> wrote:

> Today the use of CONTINUATION does not imply header block > 16k.
> So be careful what you're considering "evil", and why :)

Roberto,

we totally understand that continuations can be used to send small
headers.  But we are not implementing them because we think that they have
no reason to exist and that the vanishingly small number of users that
would like large meta data should not use http headers as a transport.

So we are attempting to use what ever market influence we have to
discourage other end points from implementing this part of the spec -
because as you may have noticed - we think such an ugly unmotivated
mechanism does not belongs anywhere near the specification.

We are prepared to spend extra resources on each connection in order to
gain the benefits of h2.  But we are drawing a line at continuations and we
are just saying NO period. We will not support them and clients that wish
to use them will just have to be content with failing when used against
jetty servers and other implementations that take a similar position.

If we ever do implement continuations, it will NOT because some clients
might want to send small headers in many tiny frames.  Those clients can go
jump!

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@intalio.com>