Re: Stuck in a train -- reading HTTP/2 draft.

In message <CABkgnnVZb7e9npjm0P+fT7VeCCv+2TKuo4djDRviA1wF8YD0OQ@mail.gmail.com>
, Martin Thomson writes:

>I know of at least one major operating system that supports this sort
>of function already.  And let's be clear: HTTP is important enough to
>allocate custom kernel resources to improve performance.  I'd argue
>that it's important enough to dedicate silicon to eke out a few
>milliseconds or watts.

While that is true, even in kernel code 16kB framesize is suboptimal
from a performance point of view when the majority of all objects
are larger than that.

At 100 Gbit/s, you'll be north of half a million frames per second,
statistically probably very close to full million frames per second.

Being able to cut that number by a factor of 10 will matter a lot to
performance -- even if you allocate silicon.

100 Gbit/s NICs are close to shipping in bulk and some people are
already talking about 400 Gbit/s ethernet as the next step.