Re: intermediaries, implicit gzip, etags, no-transform

From: Eric J. Bowman <eric@bisonsystems.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 17:50:23 -0600
To: "Martin Nilsson" <nilsson@opera.com>
Cc: ietf-http-wg@w3.org, "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
"Martin Nilsson" wrote:

> It also depends on what your view is on the authority over data.
> Should the origin server overrule the user agents decision?

Yes; with my content-publisher hat on, only I can be authoritative
about my data. If we make user-agents authoritative, why should I
bother to publish if I then have no mechanism to be authoritative about
my own content, when necessary?

Doing what the user-agent wants is a good tiebreaker, so to speak, but
not to the extent that it argues in favor of making anyone but the
publisher authoritative about the data.

-Eric