Re: intermediaries, implicit gzip, etags, no-transform

From: Michael Piatek <piatek@google.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 13:34:33 -0700
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
Hi Julian,

I'm an engineer at Google working on the compression proxy service.

In general, we're happy to get bug reports from the community, but
it's difficult to track them in mailing lists. If you believe you've
found a bug, please do file an issue at http://crbug.com/ and mention
the data compression proxy in your report. We'll see it.

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 8:12 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:

> - both implicitly use content-coding gzip, but do not touch the Etag,
> potentially breaking HTTP semantics

If you have specific examples of real sites broken by this behavior,
please let me know and we'll investigate.

> - setting "cache-control: no-transform" on the response, does not change
> this behavior, thus both seem to violate a "MUST NOT" requirement from
> <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc7230.html#rfc.section.5.7.2>

This will be fixed. Thanks for the report.

-Michael