Re: Stuck in a train -- reading HTTP/2 draft.

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 12:18:19 -0700
To: "Richard Wheeldon (rwheeldo)" <rwheeldo@cisco.com>
Cc: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
On 19 June 2014 11:20, Richard Wheeldon (rwheeldo) <rwheeldo@cisco.com> wrote:
> I've been working on the assumption that SETTINGS_MAX_CONCURRENT_STREAMS applies only to a single connection up to now.
> I'm not sure how else it makes sense.

That's definitely the intent here.  A distributed system like your own
can really only apply any constraints on each individual node
separately.

The question is: what recourse does a client have if they find
themselves exceeding this limit frequently or for long periods of
time.  And proxies are likely to find themselves in this situation
more easily than others, simply because they are making more requests.
It might just come down to detecting and whitelisting proxies so that
they get more connections or more concurrent streams.