Re: explicitly authenticated proxy: new draft

Some good background reading about the effectiveness of user security:
https://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~devdatta/papers/alice-in-warningland.pdf

Another interesting one:
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/nicolasc/publications/CEVG-FC11.pdf

There are many non-browser clients which speak http, which it seems like
are not being heavily considered here. Many of them may not have UI
affordances to deal with user consent in cases like this. Even if there is
enough UI surface to provide a user prompt, the developers may not have
even considered this case since it only happens on certain networks - we've
certainly seen this happen with HTTP authenticating proxies in the past.
The networking libraries they use would probably want good default behavior
here - which would likely be the "opt-out" decision. This mechanism then
adds additional client complexity for limited change in behavior.