Re: Stuck in a train -- reading HTTP/2 draft.

From: Jason Greene <jason.greene@redhat.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 14:18:24 -0500
Cc: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>

On Jun 16, 2014, at 6:28 PM, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Page 22ff: Priority
>>> -------------------
>>>
>>> I think the PRIORITY stuff is going to be trouble and will need
>>> revisions later on to truly work.
>>>
>>> It will also be the first thing implementors skip in order to get
>>> something working fast, and they may never come back and implement
>>> it, unless serious numbers show it's worth the complexity.
>
> That seems to be an increasingly popular opinion.  As of this moment,
> it's marked at risk and unless we get the serious numbers, I suspect
> that it will be removed in one way or another.

I share this opinion. The priority frames introduce way too much complexity for what is essentially a hint. Assuming itís followed, itís possible that the processing overhead of client directed scheduling might end up causing the very problem itís intending to address. Finally, since HTTP/2 is already over TCP, send order already offers clients a mechanism for assigning priority (although admittedly a bit basic).

It seems this would actually be a better fit as an extension.

--
Jason T. Greene
JBoss, a division of Red Hat