Re: Stuck in a train -- reading HTTP/2 draft.

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 19:03:14 +0000
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>
In message <3539.1403097096@critter.freebsd.dk>, "Poul-Henning Kamp" writes:
>In message <CAH_y2NHPqSizPrST8Ag+hr3d6FpVtL=S+PmEaHfitGfaWroFgw@mail.gmail.com>
>, Greg Wilkins writes:
>
>>.... and while we are splitting headers, could we also split the
>>Date header into :date and :time.   Currently reencoding the date header is
>>the largest part of all the header blocks I'm sending (see example below):
>
>Given that the Date header is hop-by-hop and not used for anything
>relevant, why don't we just point at NTP and drop it entirely ?

OK, so I admit it, I'm a data-nerd...

I ran a full year of Date: headers through HPACK's Huffman table.

December compresses 2.6% better than June and July.

December is 1.5% better than August.

Saturdays are 1.6% better than Wednesdays

Saturday 20th december is 5.4% better than Wednesday 18th of june.

And yes, I still think we should just drop the Date header in HTTP/2.0