Re: Trusted proxy UI strawman

Hi Stephen,

Since pinning is not enforced if the trust anchor is a user inserted CA, browsers support MITM today. Whether this is TLS being borked or HTTP being borked  I don't know.

But by burying your head in the sand you are implicitly advocating:

MITM without user notification
Non-enforcement of pinned certs
Forgery of certificates and therefore transitive trust

As opposed to what I'm proposing (Mcgrew draft plus something like http://caffeinatetheweb.com/presentations/trusted_proxy.html) which in broad terms is:
User notification of the presence of trusted proxies
The ability for users to opt out on a per site basis or globally
Pinned cert enforcement
Ability for user and browser to examine the original certificate

Yes we have had this discussion previously. But I don't think we reached consensus. Also, the fact that my company is building a browser and looking for protocol design and security inputs on trusted proxy from the community is a new development. It'd be great to get your thoughts on how best to do it from a security perspective.

Thanks,

Peter