Re: Question on HTTP 408

From: Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 17:28:25 +0200
To: Zhong Yu <zhong.j.yu@gmail.com>
Cc: Michael Sweet <msweet@apple.com>, "William Chan (?????????)" <willchan@chromium.org>, HTTP Working Group <ietf-http-wg@w3.org>, Matt Menke <mmenke@chromium.org>
On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 10:22:48AM -0500, Zhong Yu wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 7:49 AM, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:
> > Note the last sentence : "*If* the client has an outstanding request ...".
> > For me that clearly means that the client might very well receive a 408
> > while it did not have an outstanding request, which implies that no byte
> > was sent over the wire yet.
>
> How does the client receive the unprompted 408 reliably? Should the
> client be reading the inbound all the time?

When it sends a request, it receives the unprompted 408 which was sitting
in the buffers, there's no desynchronization here. As Amos stated it, if
the client sees a 408 without sending anything, it's garbage and it trashes
it. If the client sends a request and sees a 408, it's the response to his
request. It does not matter whether the 408 was built before the client
started to send or after.

Willy